If you think you found an issue and would like to report it, we ask that you consider the following things before submitting an issue:
- Have you asked or searched the forums concerning your issue?
- Have you asked or searched the email@example.com mailing list concerning your issue?
- Have you check that there isn't a patch or release version that resolves the issue you are experiencing?
How to Report an Issue
First, make sure that it truly is an issue. If Cacti does not behave the way you expected, look at the documentation, mailing lists, and forums to see if this is a known behavior. If you are unsure, ask on the forums (forums.cacti.net) or ask the users mailing list (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Once you have established that it is truly an issue, the most important thing you can do is come up with a description of the issue, along with a simple recipe of how to reproduce it. Screen shots and debug information are always welcomed.
When you do write up the issue report, do not include a prose description of what you did to make the issue occur. Instead give a detailed description of the actions you took to cause the issue. Include the buttons, links, inputed text, changed items, actions, etc.
Once you have your full description and actions you took that reproduce the issue, don't forget some of the most important information:
- Operating system Cacti is running on.
- The version of Cacti, Spine, php, mysql, rrdtool, net-snmp/ucd-snmp you are running.
- Anything else that could possibly be relevant: scripts, resource files, etc. are welcomed.
Now you are ready to write a issue report. Start out with a clear description of the issue. That is, say how you expect Cacti to behave and contrast that with how it actually is behaving. While the issue maybe obvious to you, it may not be obvious to someone else, so it's best to avoid playing the guessing game.
If you can speculate as to where in the code the problem occurs and can even supply a patch, that's great!
Report an Issue
Happy issue reporting!
The Cacti Group